December 2nd, 2015 ~ Vol. 85 No. 46
$1.00
HOME
CLASSIFIEDS
WEATHER
RCMP STATS
WORLD NEWS
CANADA NEWS
ALTERNATIVE
CONTACT US
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIPTIONS
STORY IDEA,
COMMENT,
OR NEWS TIP?
The Pass Herald Was Here
Crowsnest Pass Herald Front Page
Four Blairmore boys, Joe Prozak, Gerard Pinotti, Charles Germain and Leonard Peters, joined the army together. After signing up in Blairmore they went to the Stampede. On Monday they were sworn in as Royal Canadian Engineers. Mrs. Germain, mother of Charles, sells home-baking to make money for the Red Cross. She has a regular route of customers and at intervals gives $10 from her baking. To date, Mrs. Germain has baked and sold $120 work of home-cooking, all of which has been turned over to the Red Cross.
EZRA BLACK
Pass Herald Reporter
The Crowsnest Pass Herald has been in operation since 1930, and has seen a lot of things in our valley over its 85 year history. The following timeline, while making no claims to being comprehensive, outlines some of the many important events, issues, happenings, and changes in the area on which the Pass Herald was here to report.

1930
A 425-foot cement wall is built along Lyons Creek in Blairmore for flood control. Alex Morency applies to build and operate a dance floor near Crowsnest Lake, and is approved.

1931
The Crow’s Nest Pass Golf and Country Club is first organized

1932

Highway 3 is built through the Crowsnest Pass and the debris of the Frank Slide is moved as a Great Depression work project. The Alberta Provincial Police is absorbed by the RCMP.

1933

Representatives of the mine union, with William Knight as mayor, are swept into power in Blairmore, establishing what was to be known as the “Communist Council”. They fire the police chief, the fire chief, the town electrician, and the secretary-treasurer. The infamous Tim Buck Boulevard is established.

1934

The Coleman Chief of Police puts a stop to all boys horse racing in Coleman. The Coleman town council grants $25 to the Crowsnest Pass Music Festival.

1935

The Blairmore Chief of Police is arrested and convicted for extortion.

1936

The Coleman High School opens in downtown Coleman.

1937

Enoch Williams replaces Knight as Blairmore’s mayor. Tim Buck Boulevard is renamed Victoria Avenue.

1938

The Crow’s Nest Pass Ski Club is organized in Blairmore. Calgary Breweries purchases the Grand Union Hotel in Coleman. All town workers in Coleman are given a wage of 50 cents per hour regardless of the type of work they do.

1939

The Hillcrest Collieries are shut down.

1940

Numerous local men enlist to serve in the Second World War, and receive training before many of them were sent overseas.
continued below ...
1941
The Kerr family and Bill Cole begin building the Turtle Mountain Playground in Frank. The Pass Herald writes about the need for a paved highway between the Pass and Pincher Creek, and the need for pedestrian walkways between the communities.

1942

A major flood fills the valley floor with water.

1945

West Canadian Collieries sells the Bellevue Inn to a private owner. Mayor Aboussafy is elected in Coleman, and would serve until 1962.

1946

A RCAF Dakota hits a local mountain peak and crashes south of Coleman, killing all seven on board.

1947

The Glacier Cabins are built near Crowsnest Lake. They are now known as the Kozy Knest Kabins.

1948

William Kovach, a miner and trucker, becomes the first Albertan to be elected as MLA for the Pincher Creek - Crowsnest constituency. He would be re-elected four times and served until his death in 1966. A fire sweeps through Coleman during high winds, and the Coleman Opera House is burned to the ground.

1949

The first baby is born at the old Crowsnest Pass Hospital. Her name is Margaret Savinkoff.

1952

Highway 3 is rerouted around Crowsnest Lake, and is paved between the Pass and Pincher Creek. The last load of coal is removed from the Coleman coking ovens, which remain to this day.

1955

West Blairmore is annexed by the Town of Blairmore.

1957

Bellevue is officially incorporated as a village. The Crowsnest Consolidated School District No. 63 is formed, but Coleman doesn’t join until 1970. The Crow’s Nest Pass Lumber Company ceases operation.

1959

The Hillcrest Miner’s Club burns to the ground, and is rebuilt later in the year.

1960

The West End School in Blairmore closes, and Isabelle Sellon School opens its doors.

1961

The Bellevue Mine and the Greenhill Mine are closed by West Canadian Collieries. They had not been in operation since 1957.

1962

Famous Crowsnest Pass photographer Thomas Gushul passes away. The M.D. McEachern school opens its doors, while the Hillcrest School is closed.
continued below ...
1963
The Cameron School in Coleman closes, and Horace Allen School is opened. Clemence Jepson is elected as mayor in Bellevue, and becomes Alberta’s first female mayor.

1964

The Empire Hotel in Coleman, which was built in 1904, burns down.

1967

Charlie Drain is elected MLA for the area, and would be re-elected in 1971.

1968

The Frank post office is closed.

1969

The Sentinel power plant ceases operation.

1970

The Crowsnest Consolidated High School opens its doors, while the Blairmore Central School is closed. In Coleman, the long-running Coleman Journal ceases publication. Henry Lee, a pioneer in the area who is credited with discovering the sulphur springs in Frank and whose father once reportedly owned title to all the land of Crowsnest Pass, passes away at the age of 94.

1973

The Rinke and Sons Lumber Company is formed in Burmis.

1975

Fred Bradley is elected MLA for Pincher Creek - Crowsnest. A small earthquake shakes the area.

1976

Jerry Rejman is elected Mayor of Coleman. He would go on to be elected the first mayor of the amalgamated Municipality of Crowsnest Pass three years later.

1977

The Crowsnest Mall opens for business in Blairmore.

1978

The strip mine at Racehorse Creek is closed, as is the Vicary Mine. The Frank Slide is designated an official historic site.

1979

Blairmore, Coleman, Hillcrest, Bellevue, Frank, and Improvement District No. 5 amalgamate to form the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass.

1981

Charbonnier House, the mansion formerly used by the manager of Western Canada Coal in Blairmore, is demolished to allow for the construction of a provincial building.

1983

Coleman Collieries shuts down the last of its operations. The last session is held in the old provincial courthouse.

1985

The Frank Slide Interpretive Centre opens. The Crowsnest Pass Historical Society acquires the former Coleman High School building to use as a museum.

1988

The Olympic Torch goes through the Pass on its way to the Winter Olympics in Calgary.

1989

The Municipality takes control of the old hospital, which was to become the Crowsnest Learning Centre, as a new hospital had been built nearby in Blairmore.

1995

The Nippon Institute of Technology purchases the old Blairmore courthouse. Floods cause problems throughout the area.

1997

Rinke and Sons Lumber Company in Burmis closes its doors.

1998

The Turtle Mountain Playground in Frank is demolished.

1999

The Holy Spirit Church in Coleman and the St. Cyrll’s Roman Catholic Church in Bellevue are closed. The Bellevue Arena is demolished.

2003

The Lost Creek Fire flares up south of the Pass, burning for nearly a month and forcing the evacuation of Hillcrest and south Blairmore before it was contained in mid-August.

2008

Pass Herald owner Gail Sygutek is awarded the Order of Crowsnest Pass for her many years of public service to the community.

2015

The Crowsnest Pass Herald celebrates 85 years serving the Crowsnest Pass.
HOME PAGE
news@passherald.ca
403-562-2248
$1.00
December 2nd ~ Vol. 85 No. 46
All information on this website is Copyright (c) 2015 Pass Herald Ltd. All rights reserved.
12925 20th Ave, Box 960, Blairmore, Alberta, Canada T0K 0E0 | news@passherald.ca | 403.562.2248 | 403.562.8379 (FAX)